Each of Backpack Brigade's partner schools sets their own eligibility guidelines. Please contact them directly to see if your child qualifies for our program.
In general, Backpack Brigade serves kids who are covered under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act because they ''lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence'':
- Children sharing housing due to economic hardship or loss of housing
- Children living in motels, hotels, trailer parks or camp grounds due to lack of alternative accomodations
- Children living in emergency or transitional shelters
- Children awaiting foster care placement
- Children whose primary nighttime residence is not ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accomodation (e.g. park benches, etc.)
- Children living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations...